Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday Morning

I am grateful for affection.

I was blessed yesterday to spend the day with my sister's family and in-laws, my parents, and family friends.  There was an abundance of wonderful food (including a few vegan dishes made especially for me), shared stories and laughter.  Everyone seemed relaxed, and happy to be celebrating Thanksgiving together.  I realized as I was driving home afterward that one of the things I most love about seeing my family is the physical affection we share with eachother.  Hugs and kisses, besos y abrazos, are freely given and joyfully received. 

After years of living in a home without affection, I recognize that it isn't just receiving the hugs that is so important to me.  Having a happy recipient is even more important than being the happy recipient.  And my family are, by the vast majority, happy to be hugged, happy for squeezes and hand holding and strokes on the cheek.  No one manages to leave our gatherings without hearing "I'll take one more hug" from at least a few.  What better way to acknowledge our connection than with a physical one?

As my life moves forward I hope that affection will be as much in abundance as every other blessing.  And I am grateful for the ways in which affection shows up in my life now.  Thank you, Mother-Father-Sister-Brother God, for affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment